Old December 16th 03, 01:08 AM
Dbowey

Tim posted:
I _would_ hesitate to run SSB unless I had the provisions to check it
thoroughly. According to the ARRL you really need a spectrum analyzer and
they may be right, but the Handbooks from the 50s and 60s have directions
on
checking SSB linearity using an O-scope.

I was licensed in 53 and there was a long time that I built most of my
equipment, as many did. Innovation was required when it came to testing; some
of us couldn't afford even a scope. And there weren't any spectrum analyzers.
The ARRL is full of itself today, in more ways than I hate to see. They AREN'T
correct about needing a spectrum analyzer

A scope is an excellent way to check a SSB signal for linearity and to assure
you aren't over-modulating. If you don't have one, but have a reasonably good
receiver, use it to listen to what a test signal sounds like. Use it with the
antenna terminals shorted, and RF gain reduced so the receiver is not
overloaded.

In the late 50s I owned an HT32B, a great rig. It was easy to use and never
gave me any trouble. I recommend it, but also recommend against buying an HT37
if you aren't comfortable about working on a phasing transmitter. They are
more difficult to align without good test equipment, but it can be done if you
have a good, selective, receiver. I built a Central Electonics 10B phasing
exciter (5 Watts as I recall) and aligned it with my SX100. While I was out in
the Aleutian Islands, I often ran it barefoot and got great reports from all
over the US.

Don't be afraid of a boatanchor that is in good working condition.

By the way, the SX-101 is better than the SX100 in my opinion. The HT32B would
be a great match for it.

Good luck

Don