Old June 2nd 05, 05:39 AM
Matt

"DX99" wrote in message
news:K_jne.10332$Vm4.8307@trnddc01...
Great info guys! Thanks very much. Have decided to trade my auto batteries
for some gel-cell marine batteries, a local guy here will give me 2 for 3,
not a bad deal. I also have a huge solar panel setup on my roof to heat my
pool, which I dont even use. I'm new to this, would you recommend
configuring the solar panels for backup? Would that be better? More
affordable? The gel batteries would be for individual radios - ie, the

BC780
and the 2006, 895, and 245. But I would also like to run backup (beyond

UPS
system) for my shortwaves (R-75, R71) and 2 Dell computers, a fridge and

TV.
Think I could convert enough energy for all of that from the solar pool
panels?

If you are planning on using the batteries inside your house, then it is a
very good idea to use gelcell type batteries rather than automotive
batteries. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal with the
exchange.
As to your solar setp. Not sure, but I suspect that the solar heating for
your pool is different to the solar generation of electrical power. Solar
heating of pools usually (in my experience anyway) usually involves the
pumping of the water up to the roof of the house where the water passes
through small black pipes with the resultant heat transfer from the sun's
radiation to the water. Solar power generation is different and is the
direct conversion of sunlight to electricity whereby light striking solar
cells is converted into electrical energy.
Your solar heating for the pool may use solar panels to create electricity
to then power an electrical heater for heating the water, (similar to some
hot water units for houses). I am not an expert, but if this is the case, I
would not advise you to play around with the wiring inside the system to
jerry rig a charging system for your batteries.
Solar electricity is DC (Direct Current), and most panels that I played
around with are setup for about 15-19 volts at between two and six amps max.
This is fine for charging batteries but not the best for running your comms
gear directly (most radios don't like much more than about 16 volts). Few
household electrical appliances will run off DC, particularly 12v - in the
US you use 110/120V (one or the other, cannot remember which) AC power.
Assuming you put some solar panels on your roof, you would need to store the
power in batteries, and then use it to power your other gear. To run your
computers, fridge and TV, you would need to rectify the 12v DC from your
batteries to 110/120V AC power using an inverter.
I don't know how much power that your two computers, fridge and TV would
take to run, but I suspect quite a bit (fridge the most I am guessing). The
size of the inverter that you would need would probably be in excess of 2000
watts. Not cheap, and on top of that, with only two batteries to power it,
you woud end up with flat batteries before long.
A friend of mine lives out in the bush and is not on mains power, therefore
relies on the generation of power from solar panels - he has about 1500W of
solar panels and a large deep cycle battery bank (about the equivalent of
100 standard automotive batteries) and even then, there are times that he
needs to start the generator up to recharge the batteries.
In your case, yes the batteries (plus panel would be even better) will work
well for the radios, but are not necessarily the best option for the fridge,
TV and computers. If you want to still be able to run the other gear, look
at a generator.

Matt