Old June 2nd 05, 01:37 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Gregg wrote:
Behold, funkbastler scribed on tube chassis:

Somebody please clue me in about what's going on. A pair of 6CA7's just
went for $203. Earlier today, a pair of 6SN7's went for over $300 (I
missed out on checking the final price). I get the impression that
people are collecting these, and the color of the base, or the shape of
the getter, or *whatever* is very important (to them) in determining the
value.

Can anyone really tell the difference in the way 6SN7's by
RCA/Sylvania/Dumont/etc sound in a preamp? Does a brown base impart
better tonal qualities than a black base, or is it the other way around?

Tell me what's driving these ridiculous prices.... I may be sitting on a
gold mine here and not know it.

Audiophoolery.

Tubes like that between experienced developers go for 1/50 the price.

Checkout "oldconvent" or Gintaras at KWTUBES - real men, no phools ;-)

The audiophools have money and no common sense what-so-ever.