Old December 17th 03, 08:50 AM
Roger Halstead

On 17 Dec 2003 05:53:31 GMT, r (Mike Knudsen)
wrote:

In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

First, be aware that most vintage gear takes a bit of skill and
understanding to tune up and use. It's not foolproof, particularly
transmitters! So you may want to start with something small and simple
first.

I'd recommend the National NCX-3 for an easy to use tube SSB xcver. Simple to
tune up and operate. But it omits some of the old bands (as well as the new
ones) and is strictly for SSB. 73, Mike K.

Every thing is relative.
When I was a Novice this stuff was state of the art, but we had to use
crystal control for the transmitter. I used a Viking Ranger with a
S40-B with a Heathkit Q-multiplier on CW.
Then graduated to an RME 6900. I even used the Ranger (with the VFO)
once I made General. FRom there the next transmitter was an HT-37
while I was still using the RME-6900 receiver.

So, I never thought it took much skill to run one when I was a Novice,
but then again, I hadn't been running solid state, no tune rigs for
years as I have now.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers
..

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.