Old June 3rd 05, 08:44 PM
Cecil Moore

wb5cys wrote:
I put a mount on my Dodge pickup, bolted to the bed rail with 4 stainless
steel bolts. I placed a 20M Hamstick on the mount and the lowest I could get
the SWR to drop at my desired frequency was 1.7 to 1. So I placed a small
matching coil at the base of the antenna (also made by the same manufacturer
as the antenna). As I started trying to bring the SWR down I noticed that
anywhere that I touched the coil with the shorting wire would make the SWR
rise.

Anything you do to a resonant antenna will usually raise the
SWR. For the coil to work, you need to start with an antenna
that is too short. You need to adjust the stinger as well as
adjusting the coil. First adjust the stinger to resonance
without the coil. Then shorten the stinger to raise the SWR
by making the antenna capacitive. Then add the coil. Alternate
between stinger adjustment and coil adjustment until satisfied.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp