Old June 3rd 05, 06:04 PM
Bob Haberkost

wrote in message ...

|I wonder what causes this heat in satellite radio units. I make
| semiconductors (chips) for a living, and none of our chips run that
| hot. Perhaps it's the power supply, but why would they design it that
| way?

| Anyone have a XTR1 or other radio that gets pretty hot to the touch?

I'm not sure what the model is, but a friend of mine has the Kenwood
Plug-n-Play, and it gets disturbingly warm. I think this is one of the
reasons why satellite radio isn't wholly portable yet, because the chips
used consume a lot of power (and release a lot of it as heat). Next
generation chipsets should be a lot better.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-