Old June 4th 05, 02:10 AM
John Smith

Fred:

I wonder if most arent really aware that SWR is not real in a lot of
cases where the term "swr" is bandied about (big deal, I don't believe
in time either)--I have experienced large feedline radiation on almost
perfect reading swr meters--I accept this as real--and still run with it
(even if I lose 10 watts of 100, I don't sweat it anymore, heck, if
Cecil splits his bottle of wine with me--I could careless about 20 watts
grin)...

.... however, I have noticed that it (the swr meter) slows the need to
keep soldering new mrf4?? mosfets into the finals and linears of this
new age--it is a cheap quick fix--and if transmitter loading is good,
the finals are cool, I am good with it... and some just wanna get on the
air... I will mess with an ant for best received signal--from there on
out it is just crank power till we are at max--if needed--and if that
fails a gentlemans admission of failure... and a gentleman ALWAYS uses
minimum power for effective communication!!! sly grin

.... the true art of dancing fairies on pins, and speaking in shakespeare
to obfuscate the ideas which I express, and beginning to hold myself as
superior in intelligence and mind games--I hold for a later date--which
seems to be approaching far to fast for my liking... check back with me
next week, I may have changed my mind... grin

Warmest regards,
John
"Fred W4JLE" wrote in message
Only going from the last one I fooled with. I was unable to persuade
the
owner he would be better off tuning for field strength than SWR and
the
solution I purposed is one of many that will make a SWR meter happy
along
with those folks who are cult members of the church of no reflections.

I make no claims that any other antenna in like or different
circumstances
will ever exhibit exactly 35 +j0 Ohms. If I gave that impression to
the
learned members of this conference, I humbly apologize for once again
making
a broad statement with out a list of qualifiers. Mea Culpa :)

The ubiquitous SWR meter, the greatest generator of misinformation
since
Baghdad Bob.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Fred W4JLE wrote:
First, I would say that 1.7 to 1 is fine, leave it alone. It is
what is
expected.

That being said, the strident need to be 1:1 can be met in several
ways.

The
antenna will probably be around 35 ohms. giving you the 1.7:1 you

observe. . .

I'm curious -- how did you determine from the SWR that the antenna
impedance would be resistive, and assuming it is, that it would be
less
than 50 ohms rather than greater? Perhaps you've measured a Hamstick
on
a typical mobile mount?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL