Old June 4th 05, 04:47 PM
Chuck Harris

Darrell wrote:
Make sure that your replacement finals are 6146, or 6146A's, never

B's!

I've got to challenge this statement. This rumor has been circulating for
several years now. When I received my new HW-100 from Heathkit in 1968, it
came with RCA 6146B's. There was a note enclosed that said that they(Heath)
were having problems getting 6146A's and that the 6146B's would work fine.
They did. The radio neutralized without any problems and stayed that way.

That there are big differences between the 6146(A), and the 6146B is not
a rumour. It shows up on the spec sheets as different interelectrode
capacitances. The 6146B had a bigger plate size, and handled something like
a third more plate dissipation.

It would have been better if I had said that you must use which ever was
certified by the manufacturer, straights, A's or B's.

Heath had already made the necessary modifications to the final section of your
radio. You would probably have had problems if you tried A's.

The 6146B should have been issued a new number.

-Chuck