Old June 4th 05, 06:17 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Darrell wrote:
Yes, there are diffences between the A and B versions. There are also
differences between various manufacturers. However, that doesn't change
the fact that the two tubes are generally interchangeable. All of the
hoopla got started when an article was written about some problems
Motorola had with some VHF gear that was designed around the 6146A and
had fixed neutralization. Their attempt to stadardize around the 6146B
caused them some problems.

The bottom line is, if it will neutralize, it will work fine. Frankly,
I've never found a piece of ham gear they won't work in. A partial list
of radios I have used them in with NO PROBLEMS:

COLLINS: KWM2A, 32S3A
GONSET: Commander
HEATHKIT: DX-60, DX100, HW-100, HW-101, Apache
JOHNSON: Ranger, Valiant, Viking II
KNIGHT: T-150
MULTI ELMAC: AF67, AF68
WRL: Globe Scout 680A

There are others. Like I said, I've never found an example where they
won't work, and work well. I haven't tried them on VHF equipment. I'll be
the first to admit that there could be a problem there.

Darrell

I have used the A's and B's interchangeably in both Heath SB-102 and
Collins S-line with no problems. Chuckie doesn't know everything even
though he thinks he does.