Old June 4th 05, 11:22 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Bob Miller wrote:

It's probably a 4:1 voltage balun which does exhibit
a DC short. That's actually good for cutting down on
static electricity.

Okay, Cecil, Dave, one more elementary question. My copy of the
instructions for the Murch 2000B says the following:

"Connect balanced line to connection marked Balance Line with Jumper
as indicated on back panel."

On the back panel, there's a painted line between the two balanced
line connections. Surely, they don't mean to run a jumper wire between
the two connections *while* a balanced line is attached?

No, I think the painted line is meant to indicate "the line is
connected to/between these two points." The "jumper" they refer to
probably refers to a short section of balanced line, to be connected
between the transmatch and whatever terminals you use to terminate the
ladder-line or open-wire line when it comes into your shack.

It seems to tune fine without the jumper -- I'm afraid I'd blow
something up with the jumper.

Yeah, you'd be trying to tune a near-short-circuit... often difficult
and the results are less than productive :-)

There are some transmatches in which the balun is normally out of
circuit, and has to be jumpered to the hot side of the unbalanced
output when you want to use it. That *might* be what they're
referring to?

--
Dave Platt AE6EO