Old December 23rd 03, 01:10 AM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:00:19 UTC, (geojunkie) wrote:

I posted several weeks back about the idea of a HAM newcomer setting
up a vintage station. I came away feeling that it was going to be a
challenge, but is certainly doable.

I am working on sourcing some code training software, and have been
doing a lot of listening with my SX-71. AMing appeals to me on the
surface... it seem more gear oriented, and mostly (only?) vintage. No
matter how well I dial in SSB, it just lacks fidelity compared with
the AM, at least on my receiver. But, I have a long way to go with my
listening.

I saw what seemed to be a reasonable deal (except for shipping) on a
working and mint looking Viking Invader 2000 ssb/cw/am, and bought it.
I have been into tubes from an audio standpoint for most of my life
and happened across a pair of NOS 4-1000a tubes a while back. I had
envisioned someday doing something homebrew with them. Well the
Invader uses a pair of 4-400s, so I will get a taste of what that
might entail. It is running 2200 plate volts, and I have read they
glow orange. Anyway, probably a dumb reason to pick a particular
transmitter, but the 4-400s, the condition, the power capabilities,
the looks all sucked me in. So tell me, am I in way over my head or
can I handle this beast?

No. Just be careful around the HV. This is serious stuff.

A pair of 4-1000A's in grounded grid, about 3,500 volts on the plate
is the classic "two tuber" or "California Kilowatt". You'll have
to turn down the Invader to keep from overdriving such an amp.

Dumber questions.... what else am I going to need to set up my
station? I already have the SX-101a, the Invader 2000, and lots of
test equipment... scope, signal and sweep generators, VTVM w/ HV
probe, etc. I konw I need a key and a mic and to set up a proper
antenna and that is all I know. What else should I be trying to
accumulate while I work on my license? If this is the wrong place to
be asking these questions, somebody set me straight. Thanks for your
help.

Dan

Antennas. A ham station is the antenna farm. The rest of it is
much less important. Do you have the room to put up a 40 meter
dipole? 66 feet linear length. Get it up at least 40 feet, the
higher the better. For 20 and above, a basic antenna is an
3 element trap yagi. Again 40 feet minimum height, 80 is even
better.

Get on your roof, look at the horizon. Can you see the horizon in
all directions?

Check your ground? Is it sandy, loam, rock, or marine clay? Ground
conductivity is important. The ideal QTH is up about 3,000 feet on
a smooth iron mountain, the ground slopes gradually down and away
in all directions to a salt ocean.

With the Invader, you don't need an "antenna tuner". Tuners are
something to play with if you don't have a real antenna fed with 50
Ohm coax like RG-213.

As an audio guy, you know about speakers. I use Radio Shack metal
speakers, Minimus-7's, on my radios. I open the speaker and unhook
the tweeter. You don't want those highs, good systems roll off the
audio at about 3,000 Hz.

Focus on the speakers, the antenna, and your location. The stuff in
between is much less important. It's fun but it's not as
important.

The microphone and key are important too.

good luck,

de ah6gi/4