Old December 23rd 03, 03:56 PM
geojunkie

Default SX-101a Tuning Capacitor Trim Tabs?

Sorry to bother you all again. I was cleaning about 40 years of smoke
off the chassis and afterwards noticed that one of the "leaves" on the
oscillator section of the main tuning capacitor was bent. I assumed I
must have done it while cleaning and straightened it back out before I
gave it much thought (how most mistakes happen). Then it dawned on me
that the last "leaf" of each section (there are 3 sections) is broken
into easy bendable "tabs" and is not a solid semicircle. So some
adjustment was allowed for. Now I am thinking I may have altered what
should have been. This wouldn't concern me so much if anything in the
alignment procedure covered how to make this adjustment, but I haven't
seen anything like that in my prior alignments. So, how do I check
this and possibly reset them correctly? I assume that they relate to
keeping the oscillator tracking right on with the RF tank tuning that
the other 2 sections are doing. But, I have never really noticed these
tabs bent as much as these were, so that is why I put them back. I am
noticing that a lot of my lessons are self-inflicted. I learn a lot
though, diving into things most people never touch. Hopefully someone
has some experience with this.

Dan