Old September 3rd 03, 11:34 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:

My, it sure didn't take long to get the discussion diverted from the
voltages, currents, and powers in the analysis. I'm sorry to say I
expected that.

Please calm down, Roy. Disagreeing with you is not a diversion. You made
a simple error. When you introduced the 'x' term, the distance away from
the load, you introduced a 2-port analysis. It is a well known fact that
there are four power terms involved in a 2-port analysis as explained in
another posting.

Was I unclear about what I did calculate?

Yes, you were, but it was inadvertent.

I don't know, and don't really care, where you're trying to go with your
S parameter analysis. But when you're all done, please translate all
that wonderful stuff to voltages, currents, and powers, using a finite
length transmission line, and present your analysis.

I'm just showing you what small error you made when you assumed that only
one of the four power terms was the forward power. There are four power
terms. They divide up and add to obtain the forward power and reflected
power. You neglected to do that.

Are you having difficulty understanding what I've done simply with
voltages, currents, and powers?

Nope, I recognize the tiny error you made and am trying to explain it
to you. You didn't include all the forward voltages in your forward
voltage. There are four voltage terms, two forward and two reflected.
You left out half the terms and got the wrong forward or reflected
voltage or both. The mistake is in assuming that rho = s11. It doesn't
in this case.

So, you mean that the term containing the product of two sine functions
is part of Pfwd when the angles are such that the sine functions return
a positive value, and part of Pref when they return a negative value?

No, after further thought, I think you should NOT have combined those two
terms. Four terms is what exists in the analysis so just leave it at
four terms. All the terms with a plus sign combine and all the terms
with a minus sign combine. Please publish the four term power equation
before you used a trig identity to combine the terms. Two of those terms
are forward power and two of those terms are reflected power.

No, I did not derive an s parameter analysis. I derived voltages,
currents, and powers.

You obviously did a something-parameter analysis (maybe a z-parameter
analysis?). Whatever you did results in four power terms, not two plus
a third. When you introduced 'x' you introduced an analysis that produces
a reflected wave on each side of 'x' and a forward wave on each side of
'x'. That's four waves. You went too far when you combined two of those
waves into one especially since one is a forward wave and one is a
reflected wave.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp