Old June 6th 05, 01:16 AM
Cecil Moore

GeorgeF wrote:
I would have started making the loop shorter to bring up the resonate
frequency to 80 meters however I’m concerned as to why the lowest SWR I
can find anywhere on the HF band is still over 3:1. Is it because the
loop low to the ground (20’)? Or do I need a balum? 1:1 balum? 4:1
balum? Looking for any suggestions.

Common mode current could be upsetting your measurements as you
are feeding a balanced antenna with coax. Your loop seems to be
too long to resonate on the 75m band. By shortening it, you can
probably move that 3.4:1 point into the 75m band. But why not just
feed it with 450 ohm ladder-line through a balun at a tuner output
and alleviate most of your problems?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp