Old June 6th 05, 08:40 AM
nick smith

"Cecil Moore" says -

There's no such thing as a 100% efficient tuner.

====================================

Cecil, not a very surprising statement.
There's nothing which is 100% efficient.

What is the typical efficiency of a typical tuner with a typical
antenna.
Does it differ significantly from 100% ?
Yes or no?
----
Reg.

Well, at the risk of David going into conflict with the Goliaths of the
newsgroups, I would reckon that a tuner (matcher ?) must be a pretty efficient
device as it doesn't get very warm from wasting energy as heat - or perhaps my
aerials are a reasonably good match and the tuner isn't doing any / much work.
Also a tuner, I would suggest, is a fairly useful bit of kit in that it enables
the transmitter to see the sort of load it wants to and allows it to deliver
more power to the antenna system without the internal protection devices
limiting the power it produces (to avoid self destruction) even if not all
arrives at the antenna.......

Is this a fairly correct understanding of what is going on, Reg / Cecil ?

Nick