Old June 6th 05, 06:28 AM
Telamon

In article . com,
wrote:

Good point from DK! These receivers are absolutely notorius for solder
joints that go bad over time. I have several friends with R-71As that
have had numerous solder connection problems over time but have been
able to fix them themselves. The radio is a "rat's nest" of cables and
wires inside unfortunately.

That's not the only radio with soldering problems. My couple year old
$4K Ten-Tec started dying on me after a few minutes of operation. It
would be working normally and then light for the signal strength meter
would go out, the meter would go to half scale and the audio would drop
out. That was to many things failing at the same time so I suspected
power supply problems. This radio has a status led for each of the four
power supply voltages and looking through the top grill sure enough I
saw one of them go out when the radio malfunctioned. Turned out to be
the +12V supply. Turned out that most of the solder connections on the
power supply output connector were cracked on the power supply board.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California