Old June 6th 05, 03:23 PM
Cecil Moore

Gene Fuller wrote:

Cecil,

I will presume that your reference to Walter Johnson is with regard to
his book, "Transmission Lines and Networks", published in 1950.

I have been unable to find any mention of Poynting Vectors or Power Flow
Vectors in my copy.

Would you be so kind as to identify the page number(s) describing these
concepts?

Gene,
My next posting admitted my senility. I was quoting Ramo & Whinnery,
not Walter Johnson. In "Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics",
page 325, an equation is given for Pz+, "The Poynting vector for the
positive traveling wave ...". It continues: "Similarly, the Poynting
vector for the negatively traveling wave is always in the negative 'z'
direction except when it is zero."

On page 350 it gives the ratio of the forward Poynting vector to the
rearward Poynting vector as the power reflection coefficient. Sorry
for my faulty memory.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp