Old June 6th 05, 07:32 PM
Roy Lewallen

I don't see anything on those web pages that's outside the concept of
the ordinary interference of waves, i.e., that they add and subtract
where they occupy the same space. I don't at all see the concept of a
wave of flowing average energy being bounced back or about by another
wave, which is what you're proposing as you have many times in the past.
But then, many people find miracles when I see only coincidence, so I'm
a bit deficient in that regard.

This topic has been previously discussed beyond a tedious degree in this
newsgroup; anyone interested can find it via groups.google.com. I don't
have anything to add to it, with the exception of this question which is
relevant to the topic:

Does your analysis produce the result of 2.3 dB loss claimed by H.
for a 1.7:1 SWR?

Best luck with your QEX article. I look forward to reading it.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Cecil Moore wrote:

Roy, I have had an article for review into QEX for more than two
months that explains what is missing from your analysis. Unfortunately,
I have not heard a word from QEX since I submitted the article.

So I will introduce a concept new to the field of RF but completely
understood in the field of optics. I actually introduced this concept
three years ago in discussions on r.r.a.a with Dr. Best but I was
apparently unable to convey the concept.

If I ask you what things can cause 100% reflection, I assume you would
list three things: 1. A short-circuit, 2. An open-circuit, and
3. A pure reactance. And that is indeed true for loads upon which a
single wave is incident.

But the field of optics recognizes an additional thing that can cause
100% reflection and that's wave cancellation. If two coherent EM waves
are traveling the same path in the same direction in a transmission
line and they are 180 degrees out of phase, the waves will cancel and
the energy components in the two waves, which must be conserved, will
be 100% reflected in the opposite direction. The following two optics
web pages verify that fact for EM waves: (near the bottom of the pages)

http://www.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/oc_2_1.htm

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...ons/index.html

. . .