Old June 6th 05, 08:31 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Gene Fuller wrote:
Cecil, You can't be serious!
This is basic stuff found in virtually any intermediate level E&M
textbook.

If you can provide me with a reference that says, wave cancellation can
cause reflection of the canceled waves, I will be eternally grateful.
I have been able to find references that imply such for light waves,
but I have not found one that comes right out and says it for either
light waves or RF waves.

I'm afraid that your difficulty in finding a reference is simply due to
its not being so.

Well, Gene says it is really basic stuff (not worthy of a second
thought). Which is it? - Not worthy of a second thought or seminal
work?

If it is indeed so, it appears that your forthcoming QEX article will be
a seminal work, as the first published work to explicitly state that
this phenomenon indeed happens (outside of countless newsgroup postings
to that effect). Assuming you understand the physics which causes it to
happen, I'd think that a professional publication would be a much more
appropriate forum than QEX for such an important work. Have you tried
any of the IEEE publications?

Nope, I haven't. I've retired from being a pro. Now I am just
an amateur.

When two coherent waves traveling in the same path and direction are
180 degrees out of phase, they disappear from existence in that
original direction of travel, i.e. they undergo wave cancellation.
When they are confined to a transmission line with only two directions,
the flow of energy in the original direction ceases. There is no other
choice but for the energy in the two cancelled waves to be conserved
and to reverse direction and start flowing in the opposite direction.
That, my friend, is a reflection. How can you possibly believe that
the energy in cancelled waves is not conserved?

So to your list of shorts, opens, and pure reactances being able to
cause 100% reflection, you can add wave cancellation. Note that wave
cancellation cannot happen at a single load with a single incident
wave. It can only happen at points where there are waves flowing
in opposite directions, e.g. match points on transmission lines with
reflections and at sources subjected to reflections.

Please don't argue that you have never seen such. Anyone who has
looked at an oil film on water has witnessed reflections caused
by interference and wave cancellation.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp