Old June 6th 05, 09:02 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
In my third example, where does the other 10 watts of reflected power
go? If it goes to the load and back, why does it reflect off the source
resistor?

I have read the third example, which is NOT steady-state,
and I don't understand the question. Give me some steady-
state values and I will discuss it.

However, a reflected wave approaching a source resistor doesn't
encounter the source resistor as an isolated load. The source
voltage superposes with the reflected voltage at that point
which may, in reality, actually turn out to be an impedance
discontinuity.

Quoting Ramo and Whinnery: "It must be emphasized, as in any
Thevenin equivalent cirsuit, that the equivalent circuit was
derived to tell what happens in the ***LOAD*** under different
load conditions, and significance cannot be automatically
attached to a calculation of power loss in the internal
impedance of the equivalent circuit."
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp