Old June 6th 05, 04:51 PM
Don Bowey

On 6/6/05 1:47 AM, in article , "Michael A.
Terrell" wrote:

Kenneth Grimm wrote:

BAMA is a voluntary, cooperative effort. If someone submits a bunch
of gif, jpg, png or other format, individual page images, I am happy
to put it into pdf format. However, if someone submits a manual in
djvu format, that is the way it goes onto the server.

A careful reading of the BAMA site will reveal that I am very unhappy
with djvu because of support issues and encourage those who contribute
manuals to use pdf or raw image files. Still, there are those who
prefer djvu because of the phenomenal compression that it is capable
of. If they send me a manual that fits the BAMA mission, I'm
certainly not going to refuse it because it is in djvu format.

BAMA continues to grow because folks are willing to go to the trouble
to scan and share their manuals. I'm not about to do anything to
discourage that! 8*)

Ken K4XL

How about the Paper Port (*.max) format? The files are quite small
in 2 bit B&W, and there is a free stand alone viewer. You can see a few
scans and the get the viewer at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelaterrell/

Having yet another non-standard format is not a good option. Also, it
appears to me that the .max format may only have a reader for the PC. Us
Mac users have some problems there.

I don't care for djvu, but it gets the job done (somewhat). When I need to
use it, I convert the image to a format I can edit to cut clean-up the fuzzy
edges left by enlarging the, usually too small, djvu image.

Don