Old June 6th 05, 11:42 PM
G.T. Tyson

check our: http://home.nc.rr.com/gttyson/deadradio.html ...not
quite as earth shattering as the CBS FM format flip, but I'd like to
share it with the group so the nice lady will put a gold star on my chart

GTT

Mike Terry wrote:
I've "lost" radio stations before. WNEW moved away from the album cut
format. WLIR stopped playing new wave. Q104 went from heavy metal to adult
oriented rock. I've always bemoaned these losses, but never exactly mourned
the loss of a station. Until now.

When I heard that WCBS FM had changed their format, I felt like someone had
slapped me in the face. I hadn't listened to the station in a long time, but
knowing it existed was like knowing there was a friendly face from the past
still out there, smiling at you.

I grew up listening to CBS. I know the words to every doo-wop song. I
remember the intro songs - Those oldies but goodies remind me of....WCBS FM.
Don K. Reed. Norm N. Nite. The way it always sounded as if they were
broadcasting from an echo chamber. My childhood memories are so
intrinsically tied to music because there was always music playing in our
house. And it was always CBS. Hearing the news of its demise, I felt like a
small piece of my soul had been ripped from me. Dramatic, I know. But you
have to understand what part this station played in my life....

(more at http://asmallvictory.net/archives/009216.html )