Old December 26th 03, 07:46 AM
Frank Dresser

"geojunkie" wrote in message
om...

It's easy to figure how much capacitor leakage would cause an excessive
grid voltage, a reduced screen voltage or plate voltage. It's a simple
ohm's law problem. Don't forget the power leaky bypass capacitors have
to dissapate. Cathode bypasses can get very leaky before causing
problems.

But I'd be surprised if there are any 40+ year old paper caps around
that can meet a fairly loose throw away standard now. Say 1 microamp
per microfarad at it's rated voltage.

What year was your SX 101 made? Mylar caps started showing up around
1960. Even my SW 500 (S 120) had several good quality mylar C-D Black
Cats.

Also, there was an early 60s version of the Sprague Black Beauty which
was paper-mylar rather than paper-oil. The paper-mylar cap was quite
reliable.

Frank Dresser