Old December 26th 03, 02:28 PM
- - Bill - -

AComarow wrote:
Here's an excellent way to determine if paper caps should be replaced.
Count the number of caps in the radio and divide by the number of times
you want to go in and re-troubleshoot. If the quotient is equal to or
less than the original number of caps then they should be replaced.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Should we be getting vibes you feel strongly about this?

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.

Only vibes, Ave? Maybe I wasn't clear enough!
:-)
Seriously, I question the logic of say encountering 20 caps in a 50-year
old radio and half of them have gone bad and then leaving the other
half. "Bad" is a relative term depending where it is in the circuit and
how much leakage you can tolerate but the fact is that the paper is
slowly deteriorating because of inherent acids and is only gonna get
worse with time.
So, you can replace them now or later. I enjoy replacing caps, and I
restuff the paper ones, and I really don't mind doing so. Might as well
unless you're in it for a business where your time equals money.

-Bill