Old June 7th 05, 04:01 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Richard
Thanks for your explanation, I'm still thinking it over since its been 40
years since I've studied any tube theory. .. I recall many years ago
watching a guy trying to fix an old radio. IIRC it had an 80 rectifier and
right after the radio was turned on and started to warm up a blue cloud
could be seen in the tube as the plates started to turn redder and redder.
He would turn it off, change a part and check it again. I don't think he
fixed it before the 80 went south. Later I figured out that he probably
had a shorted filter cap.
In this case the diode's plate dissipation rating was exceeded and it
melted. The electrons slamming into the plate have a lot of kinetic energy
to transfer. and heat up the plate. This results in lower efficiency as
this power isn't delivered to the load. Now the diodes resistance can be
easily calculated but I'm not sure how to visualize it. Is this where your
term cathode resistance enters the picture?
tnx

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:52:52 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

But in any event for something to melt we need dissipation and only
resistance can do that!

Hi Hank,

Unfortunately as much as you and I agree on that bedrock principle,
others with Simpson Ohmmeter in hand would glare goggle eyed at us and
say that plate has no resistance to speak of and that no amount of
current through its Ohmic resistance could ever bring about enough
heat to produce the effects so obviously witnessed. One of the most
enraging questions I've asked
"If it is not the value I've offered, what value is it?"

Well, I've never been given a quantitative answer, however I've seen
enough carefully crafted mathematical proofs in this group to replace
substantive results so easily seen. There is some irrefutable logic
in circulation that clearly reveals that what we've experienced just
couldn't be.

Glasses will be need to be readjusted for such extreme myopic
aberrations. There are two principles involved in what is called
Plate Resistance, and the first and foremost is not even related to
the plate at all. It is called the work function of the cathode
emissivity. So, in fact it is more proper to refer to this usual loss
as Cathode Resistance, not Plate Resistance. The cathode is the
fundamental limit on power generated.

What Plate Resistance is, is the ill termed substitution for Plate
dissipation. If folks want to work their Simpson, they would blow an
aneurysm trying to measure the resistance from cathode (filaments have
the same work function issue too) to plate. In fact, the hobby horse
argument of it is not resistance at all, but some figurative charting
artifice called a "load line" usually appears in the last gasp.

Plate Dissipation is resistance clear and simple in spite of the
failure of conventional tools to measure a common physical property.
Newton would have recognized it, it is called inertia.

Once the work function is overcome (the job of the grid), then Plate
voltage dominates through the acceleration of charge beyond the grid,
toward the plate. That stream of electrons (and there is no doubt
about actual current flow in easily counted, significant populations
of electrons) is elevated to 90% the speed of light. This current
flow is entirely different from what current flows in the remainder of
the Plate load. That is also known as displacement current and
electrons are shuffling along at a placid meter per second rate.
Plate current and displacement current are equal in amplitude and
phase, but not in motion nor kinetics.

NOW. When that same stream encounters the Plate - WHAM! If anyone
here has walked into the wall, and NOT encountered resistance, then we
will call you Casper.

Inertia reveals that to slow a mass in a distance results in
acceleration (negative in this instance) and that property is called
Force. Force over time expends calories and is expressed in any
number of systems and units - Watts is one, Degrees is another. We
could abstract to Horsepower and Candelas (the plate glows too).

We know the speed, not many here would give it much though, but none
would know the length interval of going at that speed to going zero
(0). It is roughly two atoms distance into the metal of the plate. I
will leave those calculations of Force to the student to compute or I
can provide it from notes of correspondence with Walt Maxwell and
Richard Harrison from a round robin discussion several years ago.

Hank, does this fulfill your earlier question as to "what" is
happening? I first gave you many examples, I hope this segue into
real physics fills in their actuality. Too many correspondents demand
that I open the source and point at a 50 Ohm carbon composition
resistor that is the "source resistance."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC