Old December 26th 03, 02:42 PM
geojunkie

"Are the good caps C-D Black Cats? Those are mylar.

Don't ever trust those pink Tiny Chiefs or Black Beauties."

This is an SX-101a that I believe is near 1962, as the knobs match
later receivers like the SX-115 and SX-117. The paper caps are pink
Tiny Chief 600v, and molded black caps that are marked only with
stripes... no lettering of any kind. I do see a "P" molded into tiny
circles on one side and a "2" in similar circles on the other side.
What brand of black caps are these? The parts list calls them both
paper caps and never mentions mylar. Sounds like you would tend to
replace them all based on this. I have been using tubular
polypropylene 630v for replacements, the yellow ones. I notice some
seem to love the orange drops. Is there a difference worth worrying
about?

I did find a 10w wirewound heater located under the RF amp, mixer and
1st osc tubes that was almost shorted and most of the components over
it are discolored. This thing is about 6" long, I think I will put a
string of maybe three new power resistors of 1/3 the value in the
metal casing and hope this distributes the heat evenly enough. This
heater is on line anytime the receiver is plugged in, as is the
oscillator filament.