Old December 26th 03, 04:40 PM
AComarow

Only vibes, Ave? Maybe I wasn't clear enough!
:-)
Seriously, I question the logic of say encountering 20 caps in a 50-year
old radio and half of them have gone bad and then leaving the other
half. "Bad" is a relative term depending where it is in the circuit and
how much leakage you can tolerate but the fact is that the paper is
slowly deteriorating because of inherent acids and is only gonna get
worse with time.
So, you can replace them now or later. I enjoy replacing caps, and I
restuff the paper ones, and I really don't mind doing so. Might as well
unless you're in it for a business where your time equals money.

-Bill

I totally agree. Unfortunately, when I start thinking about recapping some of
the old communications receivers I have around and what that would involve, my
inclination is to put it off, and off, and off. Removing the sliding coil
catacomb from an NC-2-40D to get at the caps lurking beneath is one of these
little nightmares--I can take anything out, but putting it back the right way
often challenges my modest mechanical skills. This group probably boasts
hundreds of individuals who rub their hands with glee when they face these
jobs. Me, I'd like a wide-open chassis, please.

Not that this has anything to do with your logic, which is impeccable as
always....

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.