Old December 27th 03, 07:42 AM
starman

- - Bill - - wrote:

starman wrote:
- - Bill - - wrote:

So, you can replace them now or later. I enjoy replacing caps, and I
restuff the paper ones, and I really don't mind doing so. Might as well
unless you're in it for a business where your time equals money.

Where can one learn about the art of 'restuffing' paper caps'? I saved
all the old ones from recapping my SX-100. Maybe I'll restuff them some
day.

I hope you aren't being facetious and yanking my chain.

Its really quite easy to do although a bit messy and tedious and its
much easier to do a whole batch at one time rather than one off.
A heat-gun is the best way to unload the old casing. Dig out the 1/8"
or so of wax at each end and save it. Caveat here is that some brands
use an epoxy type filler on the ends. Apply heat for maybe 20-30
seconds, use gloves/rags/whatever and grab one lead and yank it out.
Most often the lead alone will come out (that tells you something about
the crappo internal connection integrity). So try the other end. Same
thing may happen.
So use a screwdriver or something to poke the guts out of the cardboard
tube. If its still warm it should push right thru.
If you need extra long leads chop short one lead of the new cap and
solder on an appropriate amount of wire so that the connection will be
hidden inside the original tube.
Install the new cap in the cardboard tube and squirt in some hot melt
glue at one end. Let that cool enough so as to not run and do the other
side. Fill to almost full.
Once its all cooled and settled, take some of the original chunks of wax
you saved in the first step...place on the end and use an old soldering
pencil to melt it around to replicate the end seal.
Done deal.
The aesthetics of just how clean you want the exterior are up to you.
You can smooth out the grubby old wax with the heat gun or clean it up
with WD-40 or a combination of the two.
Its an addictive part of restoration. After you've done it a couple of
times and see the nice original looking results with the comfort of
knowing those caps aren't going to crap out in your lifetime you'll
never go back to plain old yellow caps or orange drops or other
"glo-brite" colors that look so inappropriate underneath an old chassis.
HTH,
-Bill

My query was genuine. I've never considered the possibility of putting
new cap's inside the old casings, at least not for paper ones. I have
experimented with gutting and refilling the large electrolytic cans.
Thanks for the tips.