Old June 8th 05, 02:19 AM

From: "K-slant-bar-zero-HB" on Tues 7 Jun 2005 13:59

"K4YZ" wrote

The only callsigns issued by any of the Armed Forces for US
Amateurs are those issued by the Air Force for American's subject to
the US-Japan SOFA who are IN Japan.

Not true. US Amateurs in Japan are no longer assigned "KA#xx" callsigns. They
get their licenses from the Japanese government now (with callsigns in the
"foreigners" block "8J#xxx" IIRC).

??? How can that POSSIBLY be "true," Super Master Chief?

Do you realize you are correcting a "veteran of seven hostile
actions" who was also the ASSISTANT NCOIC of THE Okinawa
MARS 24 years ago?!? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

However, the US Navy does issue callsigns to amateurs at Antarctic Bases (ie,
KC4AAA, KC4AAC) and Guantanamo Bay (ie, KG4ML, KG4OX).

How about that. The Army MARS Hq callsign is NNN0AAA.

Does that appear in that Big Amateur Database at the FCC?

No? Sunnuvagun!

Oh, and thanks for that weblink at Harris Corporation's Tactical
Communications page. It was given out on paper form in 1996.
The second volume was prepared only a few years ago...but then
VHF and up isn't the proper playground for the HF Warriors,
is it? [Amateur Morsemen Warfighters to the Front...]

However, you should have made SOME mention of that informative
textbook "Now You're Talking!" from the ARRL which explains
it all...shouldn't you?

Excuse me while I go look up who used to post some phrase
about "gentlemen should not be disagreeable" or whatever it
was.

bit bit