Old September 4th 03, 12:24 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I calculated the ratio of the reflected to forward voltage at the load,
and called its magnitude rho.

No you didn't. The voltage that you think is the reflected voltage
is only one term of two. The voltage that you think is the forward
voltage is only one term of two.

Please repeat my analysis, including the voltages or currents which were
omitted, and explain why they should be included.

I have already done that, Roy. There are four waves. You must combine
the four waves to get the forward wave and the reflected wave. You
didn't do that. You declared one of the four waves to be the forward
wave and one to be the reflected wave and added the other two to get
a "third wave". That is an error.

What the heck are you talking about? Just where in the analysis do you
see any s, h, y, or z parameter? I did calculate an impedance here and
there from voltages and currents -- is that some kind of a no-no in your
eyes?

OK, let me do it in a way that you can understand. When you introduced
'x', you introduced a 2-port analysis whether you realize it or not.
In a 2-port analysis, there are four waves, two forward and two reflected.
The four power waves are proof that you are inadvertently using a 2-port
analysis. There are forward and reflected waves on the left side of 'x'
and there are forward and reflected waves on the right side of 'x'.
Let's look at only the voltages for now where rho is a reflection
coefficient and tau is a transmission coefficient.

V1 = Vfwd1*tau1 similar to s21*a1

V2 = Vref2*rho2 similar to s22*a2

V3 = Vfwd1*rho1 similar to s11*a1

V4 = Vref2*tau2 similar to s12*a2

You are saying that one of these voltages is the forward voltage.
That's just not true.

V1+V2 = forward voltage similar to b2=s21*a1+s22*a2

V3+V4 = reflected voltage similar to b1 = s11*a1+s12*a2

Again, please show your analysis with the "missing" terms (that is,
voltages and currents) included.

Please publish your raw four term power equation, omitting the rP
and fP terms which you are wrong about. If you have already published
that equation, please tell me the date so I can go look it up.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp