Old June 8th 05, 11:53 AM
K4YZ

Default "Professional Engineer" Lennie Gets MARS History And Present Day Mission Wrong

wrote:
from: K4YZ on Jun 6, 3:00 am

It's ALSO been my position that my comments from the post you
continue to inaccurately paraphrase from were that the same spirit of
service that permeates Amateur Radio is part and parcel of the MARS
programs as they are almost completely fleshed out BY licensed,
civilian Amateur Radio operators.

"Completely?" Tsk, tsk. No again.

Lennie...WHY do you insist on obviously misquoting me when you just
cut-and-pasted my LAST comments which were NOT what you tried to cite
as a quote?

MARS was originally begun
as a very small-scale (and low budget) ARMY project back in
1925...(SNIP)

That was EIGHTY years ago, Lennie.

I am talking about MARS in the 21st Century...2005.

(UNSNIP)....more for publicity for the Army than any real radio
improvement...(SNIP)

It wasn't about "publicity". It was about utilizing the assets of
thousands of licensed Amateurs to help a military communications
service that was itself then less than 2 decades old at that time.

(UNSNIP)...(Motorola did more of that in 1940 than any bunch
of amateur volunteers).

Already slapped you around on this one...but hey, hate to miss
another opprotunity to showcase YOUR errors. There was NO company
named "Motorola" in 1940.

USA and USAF combined that activity
after WW2 and gave it the name of MILITARY AFFILIATE Radio
System.

No, actually...It was known as the "Military AMATEUR Radio System"
after WW2. It wasn't until later that the "Amateur" was changed to
"Affiliate".

USN-USMC were last to join MARS in the sixties. If
MARS is "completely fleshed out" by civilian volunteers, why
are there USA and USAF MARS MILITARY Headquarter installations
on MILITARY posts?

I didn't say "completely".

I said "almost".

And those posts are on military posts for the same reason HQ
CAP-USAF is on a military "post"...The military is in control of the
program, it's "civilian" nature notwithstanding.

However just like CAP, if MARS's civilian volunteers take a hike,
the program is kaput.

No Amateur Radio = No MARS.

No Army experiment in 1925 and there never would have been a
MARS. Sorry, you lost.

How can I "lose" something YOU don't have correct, Lennie...?!?!

I have NEVER, not ONCE, questioned the origins of the MARS program.

You are ONLY correct that had the Army not initiated the program
in 1925, that MARS today would likely not exist today...

However it DOES exist, but as a totally different entity than the
one started in 1925.

The roots of the program are 80 years old. However the leaves
that bloom today ARE today's products...not those of 80 years ago.

MARS is NOT a player in any of the
worldwide U.S. military tactical communications networks.

Who said it was? MY comments have been about MARS's modern day
role as it pertains to it's Amateur Radio membership, emergency
communications, etc.

It seems to me that you are seriously lacking in a real-world,
modern day understanding of what MARS is TODAY...

You can obviously quote from the manuals OK, but have NO
understanding of what the words mean.

Time to move forward, Lennie...with the rest of us...

Steve, K4YZ