Old June 8th 05, 09:24 PM
dxAce

FDR wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

FDR wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message

I think being careful is a good idea, but you're remarkably
pessimistic.

Last year one of my antennas took a direct hit. Everything in front of
the
polyphaser was destroyed. Everything in back of it was fine. I'm sure
strike
could have done more damage - but it's not hopeless.

In my case, a strike would need to follow over 300 feet of underground
coax to
get to the house.

Reading your house insurance policy contract is a good idea, in case
there
is
something in there. There are differences, but even though they're
insured with
different companies in different states, the insurance contracts I've
read
for
homes in CT, FL and NJ look to be based on the same boiler plate form.

Insurance companies aren't likely to deny a claim if you can show you
made
even
a minimal good faith effort to have a safe system.

The courts would rule against them unless they could point to a
specific
provision in your policy allowing them to deny coverage. The company
sets
the
terms of the contract, so anything in doubt will be decided in your
favor.

On the other hand, if an insurance company inspected your house and saw
an
antenna they might decide they don't want to insure you - but they'd
need
give you time to correct the problem - and you'd have some time to try
reasoning
with them if you really have made (or are willing to make) an effort to
make
sure the system is safe.

But frankly, I doubt antennas are on their minds. A friend with a
serious
antenna farm got a letter threatening to drop him if he didn't put a
second
railing on his back steps. Hard to imagine they could see the steps
without
noticing the antennas.

Your concern someone could be tossed in jail for an unintentional
building
code
violation is incredible.

I'd have to concur. Unless you were so criminally negligent and put
others
at risk, such as tenants, I see no reason you'd be prosecuted.

Also, insurance would pay your claim but then drop you.

And some won't pay... not necessarily for a lightening strike but for an
auto
accident.

A word to the wise.. don't insure with AAA.

Trust me.

My sympathies.

I actually appreciate that as it's been a real pain in the neck (no pun
intended) for the last (almost two years). But what the heck, it'll only take
about $30,000 to fix.

dxAce
Michigan
USA