Old June 8th 05, 11:50 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello Bill,

While I have no personal experience with the Alpha Delta DX-Ultra,
PASSPORT rates it the best of all commercially-built antennas they have
tested.

Of course, a better antenna would be an array of several 300-feet
towers and remember - the only thing separating you from them is the
fact that you haven't yet won $100,000,000.00 in the lottery so that
you could pay for them. Get with it kid! Win that lottery! ;-)

Failing that, PASSPORT (and I personally) recommend the Wellbrook ALA
330S Active Loop Antenna as an excellent supplement to the DX-Ultra,
especially in the summertime when there is lots of atmospheric noise.
The Wellbrook EXCELS in attenuating that noise (it is not responsive to
it) and it also GREATLY attenuates local electrical noise. The antenna
is so quiet that this past winter, when few on the east coast of the US
were able to hear Australia's 2300 UTC transmission on 21740 kHz, I was
able to hear it, if not loud, certainly clear (it was coming in at an
indicated S-3(!) to S-5 on my AOR AR7030 Plus receiver). And lately, as
last year, this antenna/radio combination is as quiet in the summer as
in the winter.

You might want to check out the latest reviews of this antenna in the
2005 PASSPORT, the 2005 WRTH, and Jay Allen's review on RadioIntel.com.

If you do much tropical-band DXing or other faint-signal DXing during
the summer, in my opinion, you will find no better antenna than the
Wellbrook ALA 330S.

Best,

Joe