Old June 9th 05, 03:38 AM
Michael Lawson

"Bill Amann Jr" wrote in message
news
A question to the group and please don't get mad at me ! Question is

what do
you think is the best commercial built antenna? I am using a Alpha

Delta
DX-Ultra now and I think it is a good antenna but always looking for

better!

Depends on what you need and what your limitations
are. Some people need a loop like the Wellbrook
to help their reception; some can use a dipole; and
some can use a sloper. Some, like me, don't have the
space for a big dipole or sloper, and don't have the
ready cash for a loop like the Wellbrook (well, there's
also the matter of managing to scrounge up the funds
for a Drake R8/R8A/R8B, too), so a random wire
attached to a 9:1 transformer will have to do.

Of course, when I get that swamp white oak planted
in the backyard in the next year or two, I'll lose my
prime location for the random wire, so I may have to
invest in a Wellbrook in the long term (until the
trees get big, that is).

--Mike L.