Old June 9th 05, 06:37 AM
K4YZ

bb wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
"K4YZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

robert casey wrote:

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army communications in
1940...?!?!

Must have been the Galvin(sp) company, the ancestor of Motorola.

Absolutely correct, Mr Casey.

From: http://www.hitechwireless.cc/html/history.html

To wit:

The company was founded by Paul V. Galvin as the Galvin Manufacturing
Corporation, in Chicago, Illinois, in 1928. Its first product was a
"battery eliminator," allowing consumers to operate radios directly
from household current instead of the batteries supplied with early
models. In the 1930s, the company successfully commercialized car
radios under the brand name "Motorola," a word suggesting sound in
motion. During this period, the company also established home radio and
police radio departments; instituted pioneering personnel programs; and
began national advertising. The name of the company was changed to
Motorola, Inc., in 1947.

UNQUOTE

73

Steve, K4YZ

Steve,

Please don't mention 1947.

I just had a birthday last month and I am feeling *very* antiquated LOL.

I have been unable to learn new concepts, such as measuring your antenna
impedance with a volt-ohm meter.

I still cannot understand the concept of a class A amplifier being 50%
efficient (taught by the U.S. Navy in 1967).

I had a problem even as a youngster when a teacher told me that there was a
complex formula for finding resonant frequency, but L times C was close
enough. I was 14 at the time and already apparently suffering the beginning
of Altzheimer's.

I admit to having some problems with The Calculus but managed some months
ago to borrow a book and get back a bit of what I had forgotten.
Unbelieveably, The Calculus appears to work, but how can it when my algebra
is so poor that I am unable to transform F=L*C into F=1/(6.28*sqr(L*C))?

I can only assume that I have memorized many things in error. I don't
generally use calculators like many do to make change (I caught an error one
time a kid did use a calculator), so I suspect my basic addition,
subraction, multiplication, and division have not disappeared. Obviously,
however, my idea of equations must be in error.

Many folks state that pi is equal to 3. Well, that still doesn't work for
resonant frequency = L times C.

So, in any case, Steve, welcome to the club. You are likely as brain dead
as I.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - try to avoid these kind of threads LOL

At this point, an honorable person would not only admit that they were
wrong, but would apologize to the person they were claiming was wrong,
---and--- apologize to that person for starting yet another slam
thread.

Let's see what Steve does.

Apologize for what, Brain...?!?!

Motorola was NOT a company in 1940. THAT is a fact. References
provided.

Lennie was WRONG.

Let's see what LENNIE does, other than provide yet another verbose
spindance to hide behind his error...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! TOO LATE! He already did that!

It was no "slam thread".

Lennie got his ego in front of his common sense again...Wasn't
paying attention. But he CLAIMS to be a "professional".

Obviously THIS professional got his "facts" wrong. I just showed
him his error.

Steve, K4YZ