Old June 9th 05, 12:23 PM
Cecil Moore

Buck wrote:
The G5RV is a twenty meter antenna, isn't it? It needs a tuner on all
other bands if I am not mistaken.

The G5RV needs a tuner on all bands. Acceptable SWRs are
very rare without a tuner. The G5RV is 1.5WL long on
20m. The resonant feedpoint impedance on 20m is in excess
of 100 ohms giving a 50 ohm SWR in excess of 2:1 so a
tuner is required, even on 20m. However, I have done to
a G5RV what Fred has done to a 1/2WL 80m dipole. The
matching section on my G5RV is a variable length between
22' and 38'. My G5RV has an SWR below 1.5:1 on all eight
HF bands. I'm going to write it up one of these days.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp