Old June 10th 05, 03:09 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Did anyone understand it? If so, would someone else please try to
explain it to me? Where does that 18 watts of "reverse power" go, and why?

Bob Lay, w9dmk, could explain it but he's off on a camping trip.
I think the QEX editors can now explain it also. 18 watts is
rejected by the mismatched load. It was part of a forward wave
that contained energy and momentum. That energy and momentum
MUST be conserved according to the laws of physics. The reflected
wave heads back toward the source at the speed of light and part
is re-reflected as Pref2*rho^2. The remaining
Pref(1-rho^2) part engages with Pfor1*rho^2 in an equal
magnitude/opposite phase wave cancellation as explained by Walter
Maxwell on page 23-9 of "Reflections II". Since energy and momentum
cannot be cancelled, the two cancelled waves conserve energy and
momentum by heading back toward the load at the speed of light as
a re-reflection of energy which joins the forward wave energy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp