Old June 10th 05, 12:21 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:34:06 -0400, (I
AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote:

David T. Hall Jr. (N3CVJ) wrote:
If your circumstances dictate that you will not

be able to earn a college degree for 10 years

of night school, while working at Wal-Mart,

then many people with little patience quit and

then vote for a democrat who will give them

food stamps. Those who stick it out, will

eventually receive the rewards for their efforts.

Nice theory, but you can't swing that excuse in the real world.

Sure you can. You only have to want it bad enough.

For
example, take the layoffs GM just announced. Many are single parents
with school age children who can not go back to school AND support a
family.

Why are they single parents in the first place?

What should they do, Dave? They lost their well paying jobs and
medical insurance for themselves and their children.

Job retraining is usually available for people displaced by layoffs.

If you were well
educated in the world beyond eastern Pa., you would know what the
employment scene is like in Detroit. You claim one can simply move away,
but that is based on your own lack of education and not able to realize
many can't move away for a myriad of reasons, such as caring for an
infirm parent nearby in a care facility for but a single example.

Most people have large extended families. I know the concept of family
has become somewhat foreign with today's younger generation. No one
branch of a family should be made to bear the burden of such hardships
themselves. People lean on the internal support of the family for
temporary hardships. A strong family negates the need for the
government to stick its nose into it (At other people's expense).

More
children are now caring for parents than in any other time in our
history. Many have taken out home equity loans to pay for health care
and prescription coverage that they lost through no fault of their own.

Yes, and those who are ambitious will pay it all back when they adjust
to their situation and find a new vocation.

There is an entire contingency in many demographical areas of the US in
which many are trapped in a sort of financial snare.

Well, if you live in a town where 80% of the people work at "the
factory" and that factory closes up, well yea the town's in a real
pickle. That's why an intelligent person looks to live in an area
where alternate employment id plentiful, and diverse commerce is well
established. That way, no one layoff can cripple a significant portion
of the population. That's one of the reasons why I still live where I
do. I was once contemplating a move to both Florida and North
Carolina. But the lack of diverse skilled jobs and much lower pay
scales pretty much nixed that move.

People like you
usually get what is coming in the end

Yes, we tend to survive, because we don't look to other people to
blame, or to the government for help. That's what self sufficiency and
personal responsibility are all about.

and karma, luck, divine
intervention, whatever, will dictate you end up just like those you
blame for being poor, black, queer, liberal, etc. In fact, your daughter
may quit school, commonly become pregnant to an African-American or
three, have many children and volunteer at the ACLU before realizing she
is a lesbian and needs a job to pay the attorney for the crack and
prostitution charges.

Not likely because she will have grown up in a solid supportive family
that helps each other and promotes open communications and a strong
work ethic with solid morals. And I have taken enough steps to ensure
that she will not have to bear the financial burden of taking care of
me when I'm old and infirm.

I'm only 45, and if I lost my job tomorrow, I'd be able to live
comfortably for 4 years without another job, and before I have to
worry. If I take a job at half the pay, that number doubles. If the
wife also goes back to work, that number increases. If I liquidate
some assets, that number increases even more. Before you know it, I'll
be at retirement age, and my pensions will kick in, not to mention my
401K.

Have you planned for financial hardship? What's your excuse not to?

Dave
"Sandbagger"