Old June 10th 05, 07:21 PM
Jim Hampton

"HarryHydro" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Folks:
Just remeniscing and old realistic CB walkie talkie I had. It had
the metal ground-straps on the side and it could talk 2.4 miles (just
measured on a map) with an S7. My Wife just picked up two similar
walkie-talkies at a yard sale for $5! I was wide-eyed at the size of
the thing! I remember when I was a kid wanting one of these
walkie-talkies so bad that I got the dimensions and made a cardboard
model to see 'how it felt holding one'! Wow! Thinking back! Anyone
ever routinely talk further on a CB walkie talkie?
The guy I use to talk to frequently in South Toms River was
Electro-Express. I - you guessed it - was Hydro! (hydrofoil) He'd
say, "The only walkie-talkie I know that'll talk that far is Hydro's".
I currently use a Johnson Messenger Viking. Yes, I know it's
2005.. ;-) This radio talks and sounds nice too!

Take Care!
Hydro

Hello, Hydro

Careful, or you'll be giving away your age )

Yep, as a kid, I had used some of the very low power stuff a bit. In
college, in 1966, I hadn't taken my ham gear down and my roomate and I
decided to see how far a cb walkie could go.

We had only gotten about a mile down the road when the local cops pulled us
over and told us to get off the radio. It turned out that their had been a
fight at a bar just outside of town the previous night between to rival
gangs, one of which threatened to come back the next day. The cops were
really clamping down on everything.

Never did find out how far the things could reach

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim - old as air and twice as polluted )