Old September 4th 03, 01:00 AM
Reg Edwards

What all you experts have forgotten is that SWR on a
lossless line is the ratio of two voltages, max and
min, SPACED APART BY 1/4-WAVELENGTH. That is if the
line is long enough to contain both a max and a min.

When the line is not lossless, ie., it has appreciable
attenuation in dB per 1/4-wavelength, then the ratio is
'distorted' and has a phase angle. So negative values
of indicated SWR can be expected at some values of |
Vmax | / | Vmin |

SWR is calculated from the square of | rho |. As I've
said before, immediately | rho | is squared, half the
information it contains is junked. Any
discussion/argument about power waves following
rho-squared on a lossy (a real ) line is meaningless
piffle.

Anybody who writes books about power waves, selling
them to make a living, is obtaining money under false
pretences.

On the other hand we should be kind to otherwise
unemployed Ph.D's. They too have wive's and kid's to
clothe, feed and provide a roof over their heads.
That's life!
---
Reg.