Old June 11th 05, 05:47 AM
Robert J Carpenter

Default FM Antenna and Reception Problems

I suspect that your home FM radio is very insensitive. Car radios are
usually very good since you drivee through all the worst-signal
places. Your home radio is either a poor design or is sick. Sit it
on top of your car and put a 19-inch wire on the "hot" antenna
terminal. It should receive about as many stations as the car radio.
If it doesn't, get a new home radio - it would likely cost too much to
fix what you have even if you could find someone who thought they knew
how to do it.

I wouldn't worry about antennas until the above test showed that the
radio works well.

bob c.

"butlercellars" wrote in message
Our local cable company, Comcast, doesn't carry FM radio signals;

therefore,
I'm trying to improve my FM reception on my home receiver. I've had

separate
VHF and UHF antennas up for HDTV several years. They work wonders

for HD and
even analog TV, but the FM element on the VHF yagi surprisingly

doesn't pick
up much. Part of my problem is that I'm on an east facing hillside

in the
foothills directly north of one major metro market area and directly

west of
another. Despite that, I don't understand why I can get decent TV

reception
but no FM.

After limited success with a homebrew folded dipole, I picked up a

high gain
three element FM yagi. No matter where I seem to point it, I'm not

getting
any more signal strength than with the dipole on the back of the

receiver.
You'd think that aiming it east, southeast, or south towards all

those
transmitters would pull in something, but gain is very weak.

However, if I
point it northwest, at about 45 degrees up the hill behind me, I can
actually pull in a few decent stations. Aiming the antenna in the

opposite
direction of the stations just seems contrary to logic. I understand

that
ground waves travel parallel to the earth, but could the signals be

bouncing
off the hillside too, acting like a huge reflector?

The thing that really gets me is that I can get excellent reception

on all
stations in my car sitting in the driveway, and driving around.

Therefore,
I'm thinking of dumping the yagi and trying to find or build a

vertically
polarized omni antenna. My car antenna does happen to be mounted at

about 45
degrees. Any ideas on what might be going on, and how I might

improve my
reception? Any antenna designs and dimensions would be helpful. I

guess
worst case scenario is I can go down to the auto parts store, by a

car
antenna, and put it on my roof.

Please help. Many thanks!

-Bob