Old June 11th 05, 09:33 PM
gb

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Gentlemen,

I work for a student transportation company using UHF radio
communications. While I have played around with CB radios several years
ago I have no experience with UHF.

Our system operates on either of 2 channels near 470 MHz. Channel 1
transmits via a repeater located in the hills a few miles away, while
channel 2 is direct.

Mike, what is your specific title or role within this company? are you a
driver? director/manager of operations?

"Playing around with CB radios" experience should not be referenced for this
situation - while interesting - no directly relevant. You are discussing a
land-mobile system that was likely designed and installed by a professional
company in your area. For example, FCC documents had to be filed for this
repeater, frequencies coordinated and applies for and appropriate licenses
applied for.
I am assuming that you are NOT using the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)
solution.

The "radio system" you described for your student transportation company is
a "dual purpose" design. Channel 1 provides distance communications via an
operational repeater, when communications via Channel 2 would not be
possible (terrain, distance, etc.). Channel 2 also provides communications
channel between your buses (special event, etc.) when they may be out of
range of your local repeater.

For most of the last school year we have operated on channel 2 -- as
channel 1
wasn't working.

So, you did not have an operational communications system (Channel 1) for a
period of time? And this did not cause problems in your day to day
operations?

A company recently came out (not following known company authorization
procedures), and apparently repaired a faulty repeater.

It is UNUSUAL for an operational repeater (with this type of service) not to
have a contract or service agreement. Who owns this repeater? Your
transportation company? Your company's legal advisor should be consulted
about agreements and terms.

Our company was charged about $185.00 for parts and over $600.00 for
labor.
The rate worked out to be $80.00 per hour over 7.5 hours.
Not only does this seem a wee bit steep to me, but the communications
are still poor on channel 1.

We can only assume that this work was for work on a repeater that you own --
and was not covered under a maintenance agreement (known in the trade as
"break-fix" coverage).

I do not know "where you are" to comment specifically about regional
differences in US labor rates, HOWEVER - the labor charges you are quoting
are appropriate (almost identical to my Honda dealer - BTW).

You are making 2 mistakes here (common with entry level managers)

Confusing an "hourly labor charge" with a personnel hourly rate wage --
which is incorrect. The "hourly labor charge" usually includes the overhead
for the company, transportation to site, the laborer's benefits, etc. If
you are an operational manager - your financial officer or director will
know this difference.

The other is that you assume that productivity is constant for all
employees --
that's not true -- and you can look your bus shop floor and quicky identify
workers that perform higher qualtiy in less time than other workers - are
you paying them more?

You stated that you did not have an operational repeater (channel 1) for
almost all last school year. So how are you determining communications are
"still poor on channel 1" ??

Assuming that the repeater is fine now, the problem seems to be more
related to the individual busses.

This is a contradiction - you paid for repairs - is the repeater working
satisfactory or not? Or are you now telling us the real problem?

Over the course of time our mechanics have swapped-out radios, mics, and
probably antennas as well. Given the nature of the problems and my
previous
(limited) experience with CB, my suspicion is that the antennas on the
busses
need to be tuned.

I signal losses with coax at UHF (470 MHz) are far greater than at 27 MHz
(CB).

I have no idea who installed your first radios in these buses -- IF your
company did it themselves -- without basic equipment to "cut" these UHF
antennas -- then this is part of your problem.

Mike - you have a "broken" operational process here -- that needs to be
addressed - the company that fixed your repeater likely has a group of
installers (who install the radios for public service in your area - police,
fire, ambulance, etc.) that deal with this every day and can correctly
advise you (and help you set up the correct process) for repeatable and
reliable results.

I used to tune my CB antennas with an SWR meter and get good results. I
understand the basics enough to be able to do that and could probably
teach our mechanic as well. However, since I have no experience with
UHF I don't know if there's more to it with UHF over standard CB and if
there is more equipment required than an SWR meter.

Now, you are starting to describes "changes in your operational processes"
that need correction. First, I assume that you are responsible for this area
of the company?

You should identify 1 or 2 individuals within your company to "handle" the
radios and antenna installations and changes on these buses. You can likely
find someone -- instead of mechanics -- who should be working on the buses.
These individuals can be trained to correctly handle this work -- and to
assure proper operation.

Purchasing the proper equipment (SWR meter) -- this really depends upon:

The number of bus radio systems you are maintaining;
Your "bus replacement cycle" each year (new buses replacing old buses)

IF you wish to internalize this function - site down and have a meeting with
your local company -- they can properly advise you to the proper equipment
you should buy and properly educate your staff to use this equipment.
As an alternative, you can ask for a price for such services from this
company (on a "per bus" or "guaranteed number")

I am just having a real difficult time paying $80.00 an hour for someone
to do
something I used to do quite easily.

Mike, to professionals in the radio communications field - this statement
can be - very insulting -
"I pay a professional mechanic to do work on my car at $75 to $80 hour -
which I probably could do -- BUT NOT at their productivity level (I do not
do this work everyday) -- YET you are telling me that you won't pay $75 to
$80 hour for a professional radio tech or engineer to work on your
repeater -- that you have no training to troubleshoot or repair."

IF you truly believe this - KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

Mike, you may ask - what in the h^%^% do I know about transportation, bus
systems or telecommunication systems?

I worked for Greyhound Lines as the first Information Center Manager (for
the then new PCs, LANs and national network) in the early 1980s. In that
position I worked with over 63 bus maintenance and repair centers nationwide
as well as 2 major rebuilding operations.

Today, I serve as global practice leader for network and telecommunications
at an international consulting firm.

I am not going to send you "an invoice" for the advice above -
my business is operational excellence, cost effectiveness and outstanding
quality.
Work on those 3 principals.

gb