Old June 12th 05, 03:01 AM
Ralph Mowery

Thanks. I was concerned about there being some differences in the
process that I was unaware of between CB and UHF. My limited
understanding of antennas leads me to think that the principals remain
the same and therefore the process should as well. Nevertheless, it
seemed appropriate to ask.

Mike

The principal is the same, but remember you are dealing with frequencies
about 20 times higher so what you are use to will be multiplyed by 20. That
is if you were cutting off an inch at a time theh you only need to cut off
about 1/8 of an inch. Also make sure the SWR meter will work at the higher
frequency. One desinged for a higher frequency will work at a lower
frequency just fine if you can generate enough power for the pickup. One
for a lower frequency will not work on a higher frequency as the pickup will
start approaching a large portion of a wavelength. Also with lossey coax
(which most all are at 400 mhz, the swr will be masked so a 3:1 or so at the
antenna will show up as almost a perfect match at the transmitter end.