Old June 13th 05, 05:10 PM
Michael

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I know very little about shortwave radios, but my grandpa's
shortwave radio receiver went out on him and he's wanting to get a new
one. He doesn't have the Internet, so he wanted me to try and locate a
store online where he could call and purchase a receiver with the
following specifications and hopefully for the following price:

* Coverage: 100kHz to 30MHz (continuous)
* Single Side Band
* CW (Don't know what this means. Same as "continuous"?)
* RF Gain Control
* Desktop style
* Price: $350 or less

I did as much research as I could online to find models and brands
(Grudig, Sangean, Sony), but it seems that a lot of articles and pages
and posts speak of older receivers that were good, but are no longer
made. Seems strange, but I guess that happens all the time with
everything. Out with the "old", in with the "new". Right. Anyway, I
hope that you guys (and girls) will be able to help me find a model
that suits his needs. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Hiya... I dont know of any new out of the box desk tops for $350.00 and
under

Your lest espensive choices would be the Grundig Satellite 800 for about
$400 to $450. You can find it selling even lower then that at times. See
below.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0800.html

And the Icom R-75 for about $500 to 550. This radio is discontinued from
Icom but you can still get it. I have one of these and I love it. See
below.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

If you want to spend less money, you'll need to buy a used radio.

Hope that helps !!!

Michael