Old September 4th 03, 06:50 AM
Dr. Slick

wrote in message ...
Cecil Moore wrote:

wrote:
And yes, |rho| can be greater than unity for a passive load.

But the power reflection coefficient cannot be greater than 1.0
which is what the argument is all about.

Which is entirely consistent with my previous statement:
It follows that when rho is greater than unity, it is not 'physically
meaningful to separate the total power as the sum of the incident and
reflected power' so the equation
|rho| = Sqrt(Pref/Pfwd)
has no meaning.

It certainly does, because the ratio Pref/Pfwd is directly related
to the
ratio [rho]. Consider that after the absolute value brackets, the
phase information is gone. But since we are going to a ratio of
average (RMS)
values OR peak values of power, it doesn't matter.

Are you gonna re-write some books?

Slick