Old September 4th 03, 07:11 AM
Dr. Slick

wrote in message ...

And yes, |rho| can be greater than unity for a passive load.

...Keith

Absolute Rubbish.. Could you produce a passive circuit that
will reflect a greater voltage than what you feed it? I'd
LOVE to see that...

The ratio Pref/Pfwd is directly related to the ratio [rho].

Pref/Pfwd = [rho]**2 Absolute value brackets are a must!

Consider that after the absolute value brackets, the phase information
is gone. But since we are going to a ratio of average (RMS)
values OR peak values of power, it doesn't matter.

In other words, if you use V**2/R, the "V" can be either peak or
RMS, it doesn't matter, because it is a ratio. And of course, the "R"
doesn't matter either. And of course, the phase information is gone
with
the absolute value brackets.

If you agree that the Pref/Pfwd ratio cannot be greater than 1
for a passive network, then neither can the [Vref/Vfwd]= rho be
greater
than 1 either.

Some people wanna rewrite some books here.

Slick