Old June 15th 05, 10:57 PM
Buck

On 15 Jun 2005 14:51:19 -0700, wrote:

Buck wrote:
When I setup an antenna in EZNEC, I want to see the azimuth but the
program asks for an elevation angle. WHat angle should I use? I have
been randomly using 5 or 10 deg.

Thanks

--
73 for now
Buck

Hi Buck, Antennas have a 3-dimensional pattern. When you only want
to see the Azimuth, you are looking at a 2D pattern, with a fixed
elevation angle. The Azimuth plot must have an elevation angle to have
meaning. The elevation angle you use depends on a number of factors.
For instance, if you want to work dx, or want to hit a distant
repeater, you want the most gain at low elevation angles. You want the
Azimuth pattern to show the most gain at low elevation angles. I think
5-10 degrees qualifies as low angles.
EZNEC shows on the elevation plot the angle where the gain is
maximum. It also has a 3D plot that really gives a good indication of
where you are squirting the most signal.
Gary N4AST

Thank you Gary, I have been looking at it a bit. I decided the best
way to get an accurate reading for the highest gain is to look at the
elevation and then set the azimuth elevation to the TOA.

Thank you,

Buck
N4PGW

--