Old June 16th 05, 12:19 AM
Roy Lewallen

Buck wrote:
. . .
Thank you Gary, I have been looking at it a bit. I decided the best
way to get an accurate reading for the highest gain is to look at the
elevation and then set the azimuth elevation to the TOA.

But what you're probably really interested in is the gain in the angle
you'll be using for communication. Who cares what the maximum gain of
the antenna is if that gain only occurs in directions (azimuth or
elevation) you're not using for communication?

First, decide what elevation angles will be used for communication. One
way to find that is by using a propagation program like W6ELProp (which
is free). Look at the gain at those angles with EZNEC. The elevation
angle at which the gain is maximum is of very little practical use --
EZNEC reports it only because a lot of people wanted it (for reasons
which remain mysterious to me).

Roy Lewallen, W7EL