Old January 9th 04, 04:49 PM
geojunkie

Default Viking Invader 2000 Restoration Questions

I have restored several receivers, but this is my first transmitter.
It seems to be nearly 100% original... paper caps and all. It was
reported to have been regularly used up until last summer by the
previous 30 year owner. I assume that I should go ahead and replace
the paper caps, check the resistors, and check/replace the
electrolytics as I have been for receivers... correct me if I am
wrong. Is there anything else that usually needs to be done/inspected
for a transmitter? I have no way of testing the 4-400 outputs or the
3B28 rectifiers, so do I just fire it up and hope for the best? I
assume I should try and bring this up with a variac, but would really
appreciate a startup procedure recommendation for high power vintage
transmitters.

What a beast. Lifting the power supply will make your eyes water. This
has the largest transformer and tubes I have run across to date. Can't
wait to see what those 4-400s look like lit up.

Dan