Old September 4th 03, 12:17 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:

Keith wrote:
"I suppose one might phrase it as "There is no such thing as a power
reflection coefficient" when it is not physically meaningful to separate
the total power as the sum of the incident and reflected power so the
equatiomn:
[rho] = sq. rt. (Pref / Pfwd) has no meaning."

We don`t have a choice of options on a menu to select or reject from.
Reality is whatever it is and we accept it and describe it as best we
can.

Terman says on page 97 of his 1955 edition:
"{rho} = (SWR-1) / SWR + 1."

Power varies as the equare of the voltage, because when you increase the
volts you also automatically increase the amps (Ohm`s law). Thus, Terman
has a subscript at the bottom of page 97 which is relevant:
"The definition of standing-wave ratio is sometimes called voltage
standing-wave ratio (VSWR) to distinguish it from the standing-wave
ratio expressed as a power ratio which is (Emax / Emin) squared."

In my long rxperience, I`ve found it`s never profitable to argue with
Terman. He is as close to infallible as any wrirter I`ve ever read.

Terman may be infallible, but I often find it unwise to trust his
interpreters.

The mention of SWR strongly implies lossless lines since VSWR varies
along a lossy line. Perhaps in prose previous to the equation above
he has limited his discussion to the lossless case. Quotes out of
context must be interpreted with great care.

....Keith